If, at Conservas Serrats, someone asks us about glamour couples, we have to admit that we don’t immediately think of Brad and Angelina. Call it professional bias, but when we think of perfect couples, we think of Bay of Biscay white tuna with mayonnaise. We can’t think of any other couple that gets on so well and combines so perfectly. Our friend Silvia evidently agrees: she adores cooking, as her blog shows (Jugando a las cocinitas), and has gone one step further by creating an original mayonnaise which provides the dressing for an outstanding salad dish. For us, whatever Silvia says is a culinary article of faith so we’re off to find our whisk!
- Bonito del norte de Conservas Serrats
- Pepper mix (homemade or purchased)
- 1 egg, and the yolk of another egg
- Sunflower oil
- the white part of a cooked leek
- A dash of mild vinegar
- Start cooking the peeled potatoes together with the whole white part of the leek (which has been washed beforehand). Add a pinch of salt and cook for approximately 20 minutes.
Drain well and put to one side.
- Soak the lettuce in plenty of cold water
- Now it’s time to prepare the mayonnaise: Put an egg, the sunflower oil, a few drops of vinegar and a pinch of salt into a bowl.
- Start whisking at the highest speed, with the whisk sitting at the bottom of the bowl, and continue for at least one minute in this position. Then, start moving it slowly from top to bottom until everything has mixed together and the sauce has thickened.
- When the sauce has thickened and is firm in texture, add the leek (which has been thoroughly drained) and whisk it, again keeping the whisk at the bottom of the bowl. You will notice that the texture takes on a more liquid-like consistency. Don’t worry: this is perfectly normal.
- Add the egg yolk and a dash more olive oil and whisk, once again keeping the whisk low at first and then moving it like you did earlier. Add salt to taste and place in the fridge so that it’s fresh upon serving
- Drain the lettuce and place in the bottom of the bowl; on top of this, place the potato (which you have peeled and diced), the drained tuna, the sliced pickles and a few drops of the same vinegar you used earlier
- Add the desired amount of mayonnaise, a small amount of mixed peppers, and a pinch of salt. It’s now ready to enjoy