The homemade pizza base and the original combination of ingredients are some of the secrets of this recipe which has been sent in by La cocina de Juani. Now these secrets can be yours, because Juana has taken part in our recipe competition with her homemade anchovy and date pizza. Don’t miss a thing:
- 2 tablespoons of fried tomato sauce
- 2 onions
- 100 g mozzarella
- 100 g brie
- 8 canned anchovies
- 6 large dates
- Ingredients for the homemade pizza base:
- 500 g strong flour
- 250 ml water
- 15 g baker’s yeast
- Dissolve the yeast in a small glass of warm water.
- In a wide bowl, add the flour, dissolved yeast and the remaining water.
- Mix the ingredients together until you get a thin dough. The consistency should be even and elastic – its shouldn’t stick to your fingers or be too hard. Add a little more flour or water to achieve the right texture.
- When the dough is ready, cover it with a clean cloth and leave to rise. In the meantime, we can start preparing the ingredients.
- First of all, place the anchovies, dates and figs aside because we’ll be putting them on top of the pizza at the end.
- Chop the onions however you like (depending on how you want them on the pizza). Cook them in olive oil on a low heat, adding a pinch of salt.
- When the dough has doubled in size, shape it into a ball and use your elbow to stretch it out into a circle (you can split the dough to make more than one pizza if you like).
- Spread the tomato sauce onto the base and sprinkle over some oregano to taste.
- Add the onion in an even layer. Cover with mozzarrella and place a few slices of brie on top.
- Place the pizza in a pre-heated oven and cook at 200ºC for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven. Add the the dates and figs and place it back in the oven for another two minutes.
- Lastly, place the anchovies on top just before serving the pizza so that they don’t lose their flavour by being cooked in the oven.
And there we have it… Pizza! Thanks, Juana!